Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lessons From Mothers

My mother always taught me, "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all." Let me tell you how much more true this is, towards pregnant women. {A side note: I have had the BEST pregnancy. I have had zero incidents of morning sickness, zero stretch marks, zero pain...100% best pregnancy, hands down.}

Yesterday, I went to the mall to look for maternity dresses for several events I have coming up. I got side tracked and ended up shopping for my little Peanut instead. A nice man was in line behind me, checking out at The Children's Store and he said to me, "How far along are you?" I kindly responded, "7 months." He said, "Wow, you are so little to 7 months pregnant." I smiled, thanked him and walked away feeling even more great about being pregnant. HOWEVER, later that afternoon, as Cullen and I went to the mall to shop for these dresses, a mid-50s aged cashier and I had an exchange of words at Dillard's. Our conversation went something like this:

Rude Lady: How far along are you?
Me: {With a smile} 7 months!
Rude Lady: Oh. My daughter is 8 months pregnant....{pause, deep breath in from her as she looks me up and down}. But, don't worry, she is really petite.
Me: {Happy smile turns to "Just-be-pleasant-smile"} Thanks.

Our exchange of words ended there, with me feeling like a lard-ass because her daughter is petite.

Since I was a little girl, my parents taught me, "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all." This is especially true towards pregnant women. So, world, PLEASE THINK TWICE before you say something to me for the next three months. You might catch me on a day where I just can't be pleasant; and, I would just hate to be ugly to anyone so close to crossing the pregnancy finish line.

Here is my 27 week pregnant belly. I refuse to post these pictures on Facebook. So, if you are one of the few who read this blog, and have asked for a belly pic update - this one's for you:

3 comments:

  1. You LOOK fabulous!! Everyone carries babies a different way! You are not a lard ass sweet girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOO not a lard ass. Obviously that lady needs a lesson in "get a clue!" or she is in dire need of a TALL stiff drink! haha

    Thanks for sharing the pic, your tummy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are insane! You look amazing. Enjoy it! And if it makes you feel better, we look about the same size wise, but I'm only 21 weeks....I'm the one feeling like a lard ass!

    ReplyDelete