Monday, November 3, 2008

We Raced For The Cure.

Yesterday, my family joined 21,000 other Texans in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. A lesson from years past, we were up and out of the house before 6:30 a.m., breakfast tacos and bottled waters in tow. Downtown is littered with Susan Komen 2008 race participant shirts. Sprinkled in between the sea of white shirts, is a thin stream of pink shirts representing survivors of Breast Cancer. What a sight; an indescribable sight, frankly.

Many of participants are members of teams walking together. One of my favorite parts of this walk, is reading the clever shirt designs. Among my favorites this year were: "Keep Austin Cured; Support Local Survivors.", "Save Second Base.", and my personal favorite, the one my mother wore. Her shirt read "Of course their fake, the real ones tried to kill me."

Beyond what is written on shirts, signs are created and pinned to shirts. This signs read "Walking in honor of…" "Walking in Memory of…" "Walking in celebration of…". As I have said before, these are the signs that never get easier to read. It is the goose bump moments of the race. Mom’s and daughters walk together, with signs walking in celebration of each other. Men, walk for their mother, sister, daughter, and wives. It is chilling to think how close to home Breast Cancer really hits. In fact, the sign that wrapped my brain around this cancer epidemic best, was a sign worn by an older man. He had a picture of his wife, and a sign that read: "Walking in memory of my soul mate."

Each year, this walk makes me remember how lucky we are as a family. Breast Cancer tried to battle the Great Debi Stafford and lost. In fact, was bludgeoned, smashed to smithereens (hopefully) to never return – ever. I pray to God, thank God for His mercy daily for not plaguing out mother’s life. Yesterday, my mom and I were shopping after the race and she says to me, "This race isn’t about me. I was the fortunate one." Hopefully, with efforts like this past weekend. With donations worldwide, we can find a cure for this horrible cancer.

I love you mom. Thanks for taking one for the team.

1 comment: